Diversity at Travelers
Embrace the Power of Difference
At Travelers, diversity is not just good business, it's a business imperative. Diversity builds positive relationships with our communities, customers, investors and employees.
At Travelers, we believe that by recognizing differences and encouraging the active participation of all employees, agents and customers in our business processes, we make better decisions, build more positive relationships, improve our opportunities and contribute to Travelers' success.
We hire a diverse workforce to reflect the communities in which we do business.
Travelers values the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to the organization, and recognizes that we benefit in numerous ways from differences in culture, ethnicity, national origin, race, color, religion, gender, age, disability and sexual orientation. We also believe it's important to strengthen our workforce to respond to an increasingly diverse customer base.
We foster an inclusive environment for all employees.
Travelers supports a work environment where all employees should feel they can work together to achieve their full potential.
We provide learning and development opportunities to advance diverse leaders.
Travelers provides opportunities for employees to seek career planning and mentoring assistance that will help them prepare for advancement. In addition, the company offers challenging job opportunities to help employees reach their personal potential.
We explore diverse markets today to tap into tomorrow's opportunities.
The insurance business depends on good relationships. To foster these relationships, Travelers is committed to acknowledging and valuing the diversity that exists among our workforce, our business partners, our customers and our communities. Our diverse workforce also better enables us to identify and capitalize on a wide range of business opportunities in diverse markets. Stated plainly, we are committed to diversity in everything we say and do.
Our Commitment In Action
Individuals across the Travelers are focused on putting our commitment to diversity in action. We use these six pillars as a basis for our diversity-related initiatives:
- Senior level commitment and accountability
- Talent acquisition, retention and management
- Supplier diversity
- Diverse market development
- External/community relations
From these six pillars, Travelers has launched several initiatives, including Diversity Speaks and Travelers Education Access Initiative, aimed at fostering diversity internally and externally.
Travelers hosts a series of events for all employees called Diversity Speaks. The events are held with the mission of cultivating a culture that embraces the power of difference, a culture where all individuality is honored and diverse perspectives benefit all employees, customers, agents and the communities in which we work and live.
Diversity Speaks focuses on:
- The mind: Expanding employees' minds and broadening their awareness of those around them
- The spirit: Elevating employees' spirits by sharing in others experiences
- The core: Nurturing employees' cores by honoring their uniqueness and respecting the uniqueness of others
Through Diversity Speaks, the company has brought a voice to diversity as an important business driver. The greatest measure of this program's success is receiving feedback from employees that Diversity Speaks has had a positive effect on their own perspective.
Some of the Diversity Speaks events have included:
- The opportunity to meet Asian and Pacific Islander colleagues through an online Q&A feature
- A "time capsule" survey that allowed employees to predict what workplace advances will take place, recognizing several generations at work
- A "Women in the Workplace" panel discussion broadcast to all employees
- Cafeteria menus enhanced with the flavors of traditional dishes from Southern, West African, Caribbean and Cajun cuisine
Travelers EDGE: Empowering Dreams for Graduation and Employment
To ensure a qualified workforce for tomorrow, Travelers is contributing to a wide range of educational projects today. In 2007, the company launched the Travelers EDGE: Empowering Dreams for Graduation and Employement, a program designed to increase access to higher education.
As part of the program, Travelers is partnering with colleges, universities and community-based programs committed to helping students from underrepresented communities succeed. We aim to do this by:
- Increasing the pipeline of underrepresented students to college
- Helping students from underrepresented communities graduate from college
- Building awareness of careers in insurance and financial services