At Travelers, diversity is not just good business, it’s a business imperative. That’s why we’ve dedicated ourselves to creating a work environment full of many perspectives with one like-minded goal – success.
We are committed to valuing the diversity that exists among our workforce, our business partners, our customers and our communities. With respect to our workforce, we are committed to not only increasing diversity in our hiring at all levels but also fostering an inclusive environment where all employees, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other status or condition protected by law, can develop and thrive.
Our diversity and inclusion efforts are led by our Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer and our Diversity Council, which is chaired by our CEO and includes 20 senior executives. Our Board of Directors encourages diversity within our company and provides oversight of our diversity efforts.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion
We hire a diverse workforce to reflect the communities in which we do business.
Travelers values the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognizes that we benefit in numerous ways from differences in culture, ethnicity, national origin, race, color, religion, gender, age, disability and sexual orientation. We also believe it’s important to strengthen our workforce to respond to an increasingly diverse customer base.
We foster an inclusive environment for all employees.
Travelers supports a work environment where all employees should feel they can work together to achieve their full potential.
We provide learning and development opportunities to advance diverse leaders.
Travelers provides opportunities for employees to seek career-planning and mentoring assistance that will help them prepare for advancement. In addition, our company offers challenging job opportunities to help employees reach their personal potential.
We explore diverse markets today to tap into tomorrow’s opportunities.
The insurance business depends on good relationships. To foster these relationships, Travelers is committed to acknowledging and valuing the diversity that exists among our workforce, our business partners, our customers and our communities. Our diverse workforce also better enables us to identify and capitalize on a wide range of business opportunities in diverse markets. Stated plainly, we are committed to diversity in everything we say and do.
Board of Directors oversight
The Board of Directors encourages diversity within Travelers and oversees our company’s diversity efforts. The Nominating and Governance Committee of the Board reviews our company’s strategies to encourage and increase diversity within Travelers and oversees our company’s progress. The Nominating and Governance Committee meets regularly with senior management, including our Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, to discuss our diversity and inclusion efforts and the results of those efforts. The Compensation Committee of the Board also meets with senior management to discuss our company’s efforts with regard to gender pay equity.
Our commitment in action
Individuals across Travelers are focused on putting our commitment to diversity in action. We use these six pillars as a basis for our diversity-related initiatives:
- Senior-level commitment and accountability.
- Talent acquisition, retention and management.
- Supplier diversity.
- Diverse market development.
- External/community relations.
Click here to learn more about Travelers’ Supplier Diversity.
From these six pillars, Travelers has launched several initiatives aimed at fostering diversity internally and externally, which include the following:
Travelers Diversity Networks
Travelers Diversity Networks are voluntary organizations led by a team of selected employees dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. Open to all employees, the networks are part of our overall diversity strategy and aim to help foster the retention, development and success of Travelers employees.
In addition, these groups may be leveraged to provide insight to business leaders to help give our organization a competitive advantage.
The current Diversity Networks are:
- Asian Diversity Network.
- Black/African American Diversity Network.
- disAbility Network.
- Hispanic/Latino Diversity Network.
- LGBT & Allies Diversity Network.
- Military and Veterans Diversity Network.
- Women’s Diversity Network.
- Young Professionals Diversity Network
Travelers hosts a series of events for all employees called Diversity Speaks. The events are held with the mission of cultivating a culture that embraces the power of difference, a culture where all individuality is honored and diverse perspectives benefit all employees, customers, agents and the communities in which we work and live.
Appreciating Differences Diversity Training
Travelers requires all employees – at all levels and in all functions – to participate in a dynamic, interactive diversity education program to understand how to leverage differences for shared success.
In recognition that managers throughout our company have a responsibility to help build a diverse company and an inclusive culture, we added an Inclusive Leadership objective in all managers’ 2017 performance objectives. The Inclusive Leadership objective is to purposefully foster a work environment where all employees are included and appreciated and to attract, retain, engage and develop employees from all cultures and backgrounds.
In addition, managers receive training on our policies that prohibit discrimination in the terms and conditions of employment, which include pay. We have controls in place relating to compensation decisions and a process for employee compensation reviews each year, which assist in our pay equity efforts, including those with respect to gender.
Travelers Education Access Initiative
To ensure a qualified diverse workforce for tomorrow, Travelers contributes to a wide range of educational projects today.
In 2007, we launched the Travelers EDGE: Empowering Dreams for Graduation and Employment, a program designed to increase access to higher education for underrepresented students. For more information on Travelers EDGE, click here.
Awards and recognition
We proudly accept the following recent recognition for the 30,000 employees who earned it.
- America’s Most Admired Companies, Fortune Magazine, 2006-2009
- Barron’s 500, Barron’s Magazine, 2008-2014
- Buyers Choice Award for Customer Service Excellence in Workers Compensation and Commercial Auto, Business Insurance, 2013 – 2014
- Forbes Most Respected Companies, Forbes Magazine, 2009
- Fortune 500, Fortune Magazine, 1995-2012
- Gold Medal Award for Mobile Home Page Performance, Compuware, 2013
- Goldman Sachs Semi Annual Property & Casualty Pricing Survey, No. 1 in quality of service among commercial and personal agents, 2013-2014
- Global High Performer, Forbes Magazine, 2008-2009
- Largest US Workers Compensation and Commercial Auto Carrier, NAIC, 2014
- Service Excellence Award, Wells Fargo Insurance Services, 2009 and 2011-2012
- Simply Hired Employer Brand Index, Top 25 Brands of 2014
- World’s Most Admired Companies, Fortune Magazine, 2006-2017
- Corporate Partner Award, Connecticut Chapter of the National Society of Hispanic MBAs, 2008
- Corporate Partner of the Year, Greater Hartford Chapter of the National Black MBA Association, 2008
- Excellence Award, New England Board of Higher Education, 2010
- Outstanding Corporate Citizen, Urban League, 2012
- 25 Noteworthy Companies, DiversityInc, 2013 -2016
- A Best Place to Work, Savoy Magazine, 2008
- Corporate Conversion Award, INROADS, 2010
- Corporate Equality Index (CEI), published by the Human Rights Campaign, 2013-2017
- Corporate Partnership Award, International Association of Black Actuaries, 2009
- Mercury Sponsor Award, National African-American Insurance Association, 2012
- Star Award for Exemplary Partnership, The Posse Foundation, 2010
- U.S. Business Leadership Network Award, U.S. Business Leadership Network, 2008
- Age-Friendly Certified Employer, RetirementJobs.com, 2008
- America’s Best Employers, Forbes Magazine, 2015-2016
- Best for Vets, Military Times, 2010-2011, 2014-2016
- Minnesota Work-Life Advocate, Minnesota Work-Life Champions Awards Program, 2008
- Top 100 Military Friendly Employers, G.I. Jobs Magazine, 2007-2016
- Top Connecticut Employer Award, Connect-Ability, 2012
- U.S. Veterans Magazine, Top Veteran-Friendly Companies 2014
Take the first step toward joining an organization where you can truly make a difference.
Travelers earned a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2016 Corporate Equality Index (CEI), and has also been named to CEI's list of Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality.